Progress has been relatively slow on the cave project to this point. My hangup has really been the rocks. I've tried quite a few different ways of creating them, and I think I'm right on track, but still not quite there. The good news is that with all this experimentation I'm learning new procedures that can be helpful in a lot of different modeling projects.
So below you can see the result of where I am with modeling detail rocks. These rocks are super low poly with high polygon sculpts baked over. Looking at it now, I may need to increase the polygon count of the low poly. Since making rock is relatively boring I've also modeled some mushrooms in between.
After a bunch of testing I've decided to go with a multitexture blending technique for the cave. I'm surprised really. I expected the high poly baking method to be far superior, but after sculpting a bunch of rock formations, there were just too many negatives. I'll still sculpt some smaller rock formations, but for the main cave shape, it won't be sculpted.
So. I'm moving along. Time to move towards more of the details. Below you can see the start of that. I'm modeling mushrooms, crystals, and some puddles.
I am Jacob Lubinski.