I'm happy to report that the test room for Codename Dungeon is finally done!
For those who don't know, Codename Dungeon is a temporary name for a first person role playing game in development by me here at Lost Day Games. If you'd like more details regarding the project, check out this overview.
The goal of this blog is to be a sort of history of the game's development as well as a resource that I can look back upon to get an understanding of time frames -like when there was smooth sailing and if I hit roadblocks along the way. I consider this post a sort of starting point for the project even though there have been a few posts that have come before. I'd say getting to this point was a lot of hard work, taking a considerable amount of time, but in the end, that work was worth it.
So here's the first shot I'd like to share. I created everything seen in the scenes. All materials, textures, particles, models, and lighting. Nothing was purchased. It is all original. The shots are from the game running in the Unreal engine, and these are all game ready assets.
The idea here is to make a hallway similar to those found in old dungeon crawl games like Wizardry or Bard's Tale. I wanted to keep the feel the same, but bump the graphics up. Since last time, I've added some blending to the floor material which now includes some dust as well as some puddles of water which can be painted in with vertex blending. I've also added some more details to the room like wood beams, rope, rivets, rubble, and some torch models.
Here's another shot of the room.
This is the test area, the idea being I create a variety of medieval type models and materials, and then I test them here -making sure they all fit together and look nice in the lighting. You'll notice that I've already added a few models like some pots, a chest, and a doorway.
Here's the door model up close.
I love the feeling of exploration in games, the mystery of "What's behind that door?" With Codename Dungeon, my goal is to encourage exploration and to not handhold. I want every door to be exciting.
And here's the treasure chest model.
You can really see the benefit of PBR shading on the chest. I went a little overboard with this model, doing a high polygon version for much of it and baking onto a low. It probably didn't need so much work, but in the end, it turned out pretty good.
So here we are! It's been a while since I posted, but I wanted to wait until I had something more substantial to share. So next, I plan to work on more props -it will be nice to get away from level design for a bit. Once I have enough props and materials I can begin work on the first dungeon!
Make sure to contact me for any reason, and come back soon to see how the project is coming along!
It's been far too long since I posted last, so I decided to do a quick update.
Below is the start of the test room for codename dungeon, and right off the bat the advantage of the modeled blocks is apparent. Since last time, I've adjusted the color on the blocks and the floor, created some particle effects for torches, added some temporary wooden beams, and I've put the room together with some lighting. Going forward, creating more rooms to fill out a dungeon will be easy!
I really didn't want to show anything yet, but it has been so long since I posted that I wanted to show that the project is still clipping along.
Next time, I will show the room much closer to complete. The plan is to model some torches, add some quality wood beams, break up the floor texture a bit with a vertex blended material, and add some more details overall.
Below is the room rendered in unreal.
I am Jacob Lubinski.