The ruined temple model project is nearing completion, and I'm pretty excited! Click on the pictures to expand.
A lot has been completed since the last post, and the focus was, for the most part, on the floor and ground. Crumbling floor tiles give way to rocky and grassy patches. The idea being, the areas that receive the most sun are overgrown by grasses, and the areas under the scaffolding are covered in dusty rock.
A RGB texture blending material was created to achieve the desired result. Stone, dust, and grass are blended together using vertex painting.
Two variations of grass were added to the project. The shorter grass is lighter on polygons but still a little poly heavy in order to reduce the overdraw of transparent pixels and maintain superior performance. The taller grass is even higher in polygons, reducing overdraw further. This method for foliage is superior than simply mapping grass to a plane. Overdraw is much more of a performance killer than increasing polygons.
A dilapidated roof and curved stairs leading to a raised platform at the far end of the ruins were also modeled. All of this has been in the works for a bit now, and is finally ready to show!
Cleanup mostly. I plan on making some piles of rubble and a circular pool full of water, but other than that, there are little things here and there to polish. The second set of UVs used for lightmaps need to be gone through. And some seams need in the models need to be painted away in Mudbox.
Thanks for looking!
The forest ruins project is moving right along. Considerable improvements have been made to the lighting. A lightmass importance volume was added to allow light bouncing. There may be a few more tweaks for the final product, but I'm happy with it.
I've added some scaffolding models along with some details like hanging rope and rivets.
The ivy has been optimized. Polygon numbers have been cut considerably, and overdraw of the transparent pixels has been kept to a minimum in order to keep performance up. The ivy took a lot of work, but the results speak for themselves.
The forest ruins project is wrapping up! I'm in the process of creating tiles for the floor, a section of crumbling roof, patches of grass, and some stairs to a platform at the back. All of this will be shown soon!
For now, here are some shots of the ivy and the scaffolding. Click to enlarge.
The Ruined temple models and materials project is progressing nicely. This morning I completed work on the outer structure.
There is a nice balance between polygon count and detail. For this particular scene I've decided on a poly budget of around 200k. That should be sufficient for everything, and will insure that the models will perform well on the current generation of hardware where total polygon counts for an entire view are kept somewhere between 400 and 500k. Materials are kept as cheap as possible, and models are made with Unreal Engine's poly reduction in mind for LODs. Currently the scene is sitting around 100k, and poly reduction looks pretty good at 50%. I've got plenty of room for additions while maintaining superior performance.
A post process volume was added in order to simulate the lighting which will be present in the project at the end. Lighting will no doubt be tweaked, but it is a start.
There is a good amount left to do. A rock tile floor, some crumbling roof pieces, stairs leading to a platform, and some scaffolding are just a few of the things in the works.
Below are some screenshots. Click to enlarge.
To make a long story short, I wasn't happy with how the forest temple was turning out, so I did an overhaul. Finally! This is more what I had in mind.
While I liked the height lerp material in the original, it wasn't doing enough to give the structure the detail that I wanted. Now I've combined flat plane materials and models to create a more varied structure.
Here it is. Soon, there will be much much more to show!
I am Jacob Lubinski.